We can all do our part by using renewable or recycled resources in our daily lives.
As the earth's resources are finite, recycling and reduction of waste is critical – it is imperative that mankind focuses on products and packaging which use renewable or recycled resources.
Our commitment to sustainable litter and bedding
FibreCycle is committed to producing environmentally-friendly products, and even exceeding the properties of traditional products. FibreCycle's pelleted paper process results in the ultimate environmentally-friendly product.
Renewable, recycled and biodegradable
FibreCycle products are recycled and boast many environmental features:
- Made from >99% recycled paper (no virgin wood fibre) which is a renewable resource otherwise destined for landfill.
- No additives or chemicals.
- No oxygen or elemental bleaching.
- The manufacturing process is a closed loop whereby process generated fines are captured and reintroduced to the process.
- Lighter than competitor products, which means production and transportation costs have a far lower environmental footprint than competitor products.
- Where possible energy used in the process is recycled
After use as cat litter or bedding, the pellets can be recycled as:
- Compost, used as fuel for furnaces, as soil conditioner or mulch.
- Paper stock is made from renewable raw materials (specifically not a clay coated stock which is a non-renewable resource).
- Low impact printing includes digital plates and water-based (solvent-free) inks.
- Paper packaging is recyclable.
Environmental impact statistics
Here are some statistics on the environmental impact of our actions:
- Recycling each ton of paper saves 17 trees and 7,000 gallons (26,500 litres) of water (source: EPA)
- Timber production not only harms trees: 3,000 species of fish and wildlife and 10,000 plant species live in National Forests (source: Sierra Club)
- The amount of paper we throw away annually accounts for approximately 40% of municipal solid waste (source: Sierra Club)
- Amount of refuse thrown out by average personal annually: 1,500 pounds (680 kg) (source: Embracing the Earth, Mark Harris)
- Amount of refuse thrown out by a person who composts: 375 pounds (170 kg) (source: Embracing the Earth, Mark Harris)
- Percent of junk mail recycled: 5.2% (source: Advertising Mail Marketing Association)
- Recycled paper generates 95% less air pollution (source: Center for Ecological Technology)